By Fernanda Sandoval/ Contributing Writer

Students who can maintain a 3.0 G.P.A. or higher, obtain two letters of recommendation, are able to keep up with rigorous workloads and have strong academic abilities qualify for the honors program at LBCC.

The program serves as an intellectual challenge for students who choose to be a part of it. The program consists of general education classes at the honor level. The classes are meant to go deeper into subject material than non-honor classes.

The honors program serves to aid students with transferring to Cal States or U.C.’s. Usually students have a 25 percent chance of getting into a school like UCLA, however, with the honors program their chances are increased to 75 percent. The program consists of about 300 students.

The coordinator of the program, professor Jeff Wheeler, said, “I think the honors program really brings students together and amplifies the college experience. It consists of students who are serious about school and always looking towards their next steps.”

The program office is on the ground level of the LAC library in L162. The office hours are from

9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, but only during the Fall and Spring semesters.